An Uncomfortable Truth

Well, its a long long break since my last post; I am hopeful of completing my Siachen Chapter of my life soon. Apologies for this delay.

Good news is, now I have my Siachen photogaphs scanned. So it will be illustrative blog from now on.

A thing I forgot to mention - another fact about Siachen at the entry to Base Camp.
As we enter the Base, I notice couple of fires burning - yet no one around - uncontrolled fire - a threat in security terms. Is it the burning waste, or is it a party just completed or is it a preparation for Campfire - I had these questions running inside me.

My doubts were soon put to rest - they were funeral pyres - of soldiers who succumbed to the Glacier. Their unfortunate families didn't even had the last look of their loved ones. I later learn that because of the time and distance at which Siachen is cut off from the world, the authorities carry out the last rites of these unfortunate men - of course after informing their families.

This stark reality of probability of "no last look" is one other thing that bears down heavily on the Siachen experience.

Next : The SBS Training

Comments

the pleasantone said…
yay army you back!!!!! looking forward to the pics!

Popular Posts