Corporate Life : Enter the Dragon


Circa 2008 .............

After 7 years of working in a Bank, finally a job in corporate and I moved to Hyderabad in May. Saturday, 12th July, I rode bike 20km all the way to RSI, took the application form and called Masurkar, for two signatures of existing RSI members, his and his father in law's. 
He stays close by, hence expected to get the signatures and submit the application same day at RSI without having to drive 20km on another day.

"Sam, I'm outside shopping, can you come back tomorrow", he asks. I say, "I'll wait". He insisted, come back tomorrow. Thought What type of coursemate? Asking me to go back 20km, come back again 20km just for two signatures. He said he invited few guests for lunch to celebrate his daughter's birthday and said I could join as well. Who cares about food, all I want is signatures, I said to myself. Anyway couldn't help but agree come back. Drive back 22 km.

Drive 22 km again, Sunday, 13 July, lunch. 
Pleasantries exchanged with guests, one guy asks me what I do, I proudly say "I am working at Satyam BPO as Head of Transport operations". (Used to pick up 3000 employees from home to office and drop them back home, every day). His response - "Oh, shitty job". That's our first conversation.
He said he's Naveen, a retired Lt Col, heading Facilities team at Sierra Atlantic. 

Masurkar's wife Michelle used to work there before she met Masurkar at RSI. Masur was posted at Secunderabad then. Head over heels in love, Masurkar quit Fauj and joined Sierra Atlantic, rather joined Michelle at Sierra Atlantic, which he quit few years later to join Deloitte. Masurkar helped this Lt Col, Naveen Kochar join Sierra Atlantic. That's a different story.

So, at Masurkar's place, few minutes after introductions, chilled beer bottles open. After customary "cheers", Col Naveen says, his company, Sierra Atlantic has 4,5 offices in city, and will be consolidated in to one big campus which is under construction. He proudly says, he has to visit all offices plus the construction site and in the process lost 12 kgs. I said, "Sir, you're a senior officer, why don't you hire some youngster to do all the running around".
"Would you like to join" was his response. I said "why not". He asked me to come to his office on Tuesday. True to his word, he arranged interviews- HR, CFO etc., and in less than three weeks, I'm on his team.

And on 6th August 2019, I completed 11 years !!!

Comments

Popular Posts